Did you know that in 2015, three million people in Minnesota had at least one chronic disease and one million had two or more chronic diseases? Source: Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease
Seven tips for preventing or managing a health condition
Making healthy choices helps reduce your chances of getting a chronic disease and can help you feel your best when managing a health condition. Here’s some tips you can add to your routine today:
- Avoid using tobacco or being around second-hand smoke.
- Eat healthy. Eat a balanced diet with lots of lean protein, vegetables, grains and low-fat dairy.
- Get regular physical activity. Move more and sit less to prevent, delay or manage chronic conditions.
- Drink less alcohol. Reduce your risk for serious conditions connected to alcohol.
- Get screened. Visit your doctor for preventative care or to catch an issue early.
- Get enough sleep. In general, most adults should get at least seven hours/night.
- Know your family history. Talk with your doctor about your risk factors.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)